Showing You How to Live Stylishly for Less.

Wednesday, 28 May 2014

Recipe: Quick and Simple Chocolate Mini Muffins!

As promised, here is the recipe for the melt-in-the-middle chocolate mini muffins I baked on whim last night after developing a craving.  They took me less than five minutes to whip up and they tasted amazing!!!




I've never really been one for following recipes so I took the magic cake bake rule taught to me by mummy dearest, (equal parts egg, flour, butter and sugar and you're golden) and threw it out of the window. Actually, I didn't throw it out of the window as much as I deconstructed it. I reinterpreted the formula to equate equal parts egg, fibre, fat and sugar and the substituted some of the normal cake ingredients in each category for healthier options.

For those of you who don't understand what the hell I'm rambling about, rest in the knowledge that I have posted the recipe for both the basic version of this and also my slightly healthier version of these

below complete with nutritional facts for you to compare (thank you caloriecount.about.com!):


Basic Chocolate Mini Muffins (makes 7 mini muffins):
50g Plain Flour (can use self-raising instead and eliminate baking powder)
1 1/2 Small Chocolate Bars (e.g. the Cadbury Chocolate Bars you see at a newsagent's counter)
50g Caster Sugar
50g Butter/Margerine
1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1 Egg
Pinch of salt







Healthier Choco-coconut Mini Muffins (makes 7 mini muffins):
25g plain flour (can use self-raising instead and eliminate baking powder)
25g Desiccated Coconut
75g Dark Chocolate (equivalent to 1& 1/2 Single Chocolate Bars, I used Bourneville Bars)
25g Caster Sugar
25g Butter/Margerine
25g Plain Youghurt
1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1 Egg
Pinch of salt





5 Minute Steps:
1. Preheat oven to 175 degrees Celsius
2. Finely grate one chocolate bar into a large bowl
3. Add the rest of the dry ingredients, and then individually stir in the wet ingredients (it helps to melt the butter in the microwave for a few seconds and then pour it in).
4. Grease a mini muffin tray with butter/margerine spread on a piece of kitchen roll (I used a bun tray rather than a muffin tin hence the flat shape of my muffins). Be sure to grease around the top of each muffin tray cup so that the undersides of the muffin tops do not stick the to top of the tray.
5. Spoon the mixture into 7 of the muffin tray cups, filling them only halfway.
6. Take the remaining half a chocolate bar and break each section of it in two creating bite size chunks. Place these into the centre of each cup of muffin mixture for the melt-in-the-middle filling.
7. Fill the muffin trays the rest of the way, covering the chocolate chunks so that the mixture is slightly heaped.
8. Bake for 15-20 mins at 175 degrees until the muffins have risen, have a golden finish at the edges and appear only ever so slightly moist on their tops.
9. Allow to cool and then EAT!!!

These were absolutely delicious. As I said, I went for the healthier option and it didn't feel like I was scrimping at all. I love coconut so I appreciated the extra flavour and the coconut also gave the cakes a slightly crispier texture on the outside which was great.

I don't feel I've explained the 'magic cake rule' thoroughly enough in this post so please do remind me to do a whole post dedicated to it as it makes experimenting with cake recipes a thousand times more fool proof once you get it down.

I hope you give these a try! If you do pretty please let me know, that'd be cool.

If you like my posts pretty please support me and follow this blog with bloglovin' below or by using any of the easy links in the sidebar!

x Jade Mercedes Fraser x

Follow on Bloglovin
Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Jade With Envy | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template by pipdig